It should come as no surprise to you that I, like every other red blooded American of my generation, love Harry Potter. Although I was a late bloomer into the HP fanclub (special thanks to my BESTIE, Lindsay, for “convincing” me to put off studying for finals the last semester of college by having a Harry Potter movie marathon of movies 1-4), I’ve now read every book and have seen every movie made to date.
It’s no secret that movie #4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, has been my hands-down favorite – mostly due to its inclusion of my beloved Cedric Diggory. I know Lindsay loves #5 (right?) and others have their own reasons for their personal favorites, but I must say – after seeing Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday – I believe I have a new favorite!
DISCLAIMER:IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS OR SEEN THE MOVIES, STOP READING NOW. SPOILERS AHEAD!
Here are my reasons for loving/hating each HP film:
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: This was the original. The kids – Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, etc. – were so young! It’s crazy. You can’t hate the first movie – it was the beginning of an era.
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: I believe this is where I began to fall in love with Severus Snape. I knew from the very beginning that Snape was a “good” guy, and Alan Rickman plays him like a GENIUS. Oh, and when the letters came up on the screen that went from I AM TOM RIDDLE to LORD VOLDEMORT, I almost fell out of my chair. AMAZING.
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: A crazy murder is on the loose, and then we find out he’s Harry’s Godfather and neither crazy NOR a murderer? AWESOME. Also, werewolves are amazing.
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Two words: Cedric Diggory. He was handsome, funny and smart – therefore, they killed him off. Jerks. (And let the record show that I loved Cedric LONG BEFORE he was an angsty sparkly vampire.)
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Is there a more hated villian thatn Dolores Umbridge? I think not. This movie also gave us a greater picture of Bellatrix Lestrange – played by Helena Bonham Carter – who is TOTALLY CRAZY (I’m talking about Bellatrix AND HBC here), and does such an amazing job. When Sirius Black dies at the end, it kills me – I mean really, is it not bad enough that Harry’s mom and dad died, now his Godfather too? PS – Dumbledore’s Army FTW.
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: I must admit, when reading the book I was like WHO IN THE WORLD IS THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE?! Then when I found out it was Snape I was like YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! How did I not see that coming? I dunno. Also, Harry and Ginny start dating – thank God she got pretty (I was worried from the earlier movies). And the end – oh, the end. RIP Dumbledore – you are amazing and I love you.
7A. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1: Wow. Just…wow. I am so glad they made a five-hour-long movie, I just wish the two parts had come out together! The movie was EXCELLENT – I especially liked the shadow-telling of the story of the Three Brothers. However, when Dobby died at the end, I was a hot mess. I mean REALLY. I love that little house elf and his allegiance to Harry. I cried in the book, and I cried again in the movie. BRAVO.
7B. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2: I haven’t seen it yet (obviously), but I anticipate much crying and FINALLY – vindication. I really hope they do an “after the credits” type thing that shows Harry and Ginny’s wedding and their kids. DO IT, WARNER BROTHERS.