What Happens in Vegas…Goes on the Blog :)


Wow, I can’t believe it’s been almost an entire month since my last blog! Things have been busy at work and with The Weatherman’s “situation” (more on that here, or ask me directly), but we did manage to squeeze in a 5-day vacation to Las Vegas with Chad’s family! Needless to say, few things were certain: it would be hot, we would have fun, and we’d come back with hilarious stories. I’d say mission: accomplished in all three areas!

We flew out Monday morning and had layovers in Dallas and the Motherland. (It was very sad and tempting to not be able to disembark the plane in Austin, let me tell you.) But finally, we made our way to Las Vegas – and the adventure really began!

I asked our cab driver to get us to the hotel quickly, as people were waiting on us there. THIS WAS A MISTAKE. He drove 110 MPH on twisty roads on airport property and on the highways, wove in and out of traffic, crossed 7 lanes of interstate to make our exit (only after seeing the “1/4 mile till your exit” sign) and blew through the light at the intersection of Flamingo and Las Vegas Boulevard (6 lanes). And when I say he blew through the light, I mean it was red, I counted to 6 and then we entered the intersection. I seriously feared for our lives! I will never ask a cab driver to get us somewhere ASAP ever. again.

Within a few hours, everyone had arrived at the hotel (the Tuscany Suites, a block off the Strip) and we settled in for an AMAZING Italian dinner. Because I know you read this blog for the food (ahem, Lindsay), I can tell you that I had the world’s greatest and LARGEST bowl of homemade pesto fettuccini EVER. It seriously could have fed 3 people. And the warm, freshly-baked bread with herbs and olive oil was my weakness, as usual.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Most of our days were filled with wandering the Strip, sightseeing and swimming, and our nights were filled with gambling, eating and all around merriment. Sounds terrible, no? A highlight of mine was riding the roller coaster at New York, New York – that thing rocked! I love roller coasters :) One night, we all decided to play blackjack together – Titanic style. And by that, I mean we all went down together! We kept giving one another chips so that we could continue to play, and we ended up keeping ourselves alive for well over an hour. I was laughing so hard I was crying, and it was definitely a night I’ll never forget!

On our last full day in Vegas we spent the entire day at the Monte Carlo pool/lazy river/wave pool/sand volleyball courts. For free. And meeting a very wealthy couple who graciously paid for about $500 worth of drinks between the 9 of us. Yeah, that day was awesome.

On our last night in Vegas, we headed to Mon Ami Gabi, an awesome restaurant in the Paris Hotel. I had the steak and frites with bernaise sauce, and I can tell you that this was a GREAT decision. Chad and I then split the molten flourless chocolate cake and headed to the casino for one last round of fun. In fact, it was the only night I ended up being the big winner! Always go out on a high note, that’s what I say.

The next morning, Chad’s mom and I cried when we said goodbye (what?! I love that woman!) and we headed (much more slowly) to the airport. We had a super fancy Southwest plane back to Houston, and then were delayed 2.5 hours because of weather in Baltimore – but it ended up being fine, as it gave us plenty of time for dinner and Olympics/football watching. All in all, a great trip!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s