Bittersweet Goodbyes


This weekend was awesome. I got the chance to spend time with some of my very best Houston-based friends (sorry Austin friends – I love you, but this happened so quickly that I just couldn’t make it up there!) and my entire family. It was really great to see everyone come out in support of my decision to move to Arkansas (even if they were sad about it!) – I can’t tell you how much it meant to me!

Friday night was dinner and drinks with about 22 of my awesome Houston friends. The restaurant we went to even added a special dish to their menu – queso (what kind of Mexican restaurant doesn’t serve queso to begin with?!) – just for me. The staff was really nice and three different people greeted me by name and asked me about Arkansas – that’s what I call customer service. We then went to my favorite Houston bar – Volcano – home of the frozen screwdriver. Caleb tried to kill me by sneaking in some extra vodka shots, but I lived :)

Saturday was my day with Elizabeth :) We had lunch at the Nordstrom’s Bistro (delish!) and just hung out the rest of the day. We had dinner at her aunt and uncle’s house (it was Uncle Gregg’s birthday), and then I had my first emotional breakdown over the move. Being the great friend that she is, Elizabeth consoled me for a while and then I went to bed.

Sunday was church – my last day singing with the Houston’s First Baptist choir – then a GIANT family going away party. I had no idea so many people would come! For the first time ever, we actually ran out of food – that NEVER happens at our parties! It was awesome. Oh, then I had another breakdown with my mom. Finally, I went to my last Sunday PM service at Woodlands Church, then headed home to hang out with Andee one last time. And have a breakdown – together.

Then it got a little crazy. Andee went to leave around 11:30 and her car was gone. We called the towing company and foud out it had been towed – FOR NO GOOD REASON. She was NOT parked illegally – in fact, she was directly beneath the visitor parking sign. So we traipsed through the GHETTO (Southwest Houston waaaaay down Harwin – if you’re from Houston, you realize the danger two white girls were in at midnight) and got Andee’s car back. By the time we got home and went to sleep, it was 2 a.m. – and today, we’re exhausted.

All in all, a wonderful weekend, despite my periodic emotional meltdowns (which, I suppose, are to be expected). I am not having doubts about my decision to move, it’s just really overwhelming and a lot of change that happened very quickly. I am excited about what’s in store for the future, and really looking forward to it!


One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s